Freedom Scientific’s SARA (Scanning and Reading Appliance) is an affordable and easy-to-use solution for reading a wide variety of printed material, including books, mail, newspapers, magazines, and so much more. SARA uses the latest in advanced optical character recognition technology to scan text and then read it aloud in crisp, clear speech. SARA automatically stores and remembers the contents of hundreds of thousands of documents.
Start reading right away.
You can start using SARA right out of the box, with no experience or training. Just place your book or document on the scanning area, and press the scan button. SARA automatically scans and recognizes the text and reads it to you. During the reading, you can adjust the voice rate and volume as well as fast forward and rewind. If you want to take time and examine a document in detail, simply pause the reading and use the intuitive navigational keys to read a word or a line at a time. You can even spell out words to get a better understanding of what is being spoken. If you’re reading the large type on a monitor, highlighting of the words keeps you on track with the voice. If you need assistance, use the Help button to quickly remind yourself of any button’s function. For more assistance, SARA includes helpful manuals and complete documentation.
Choose your preference
SARA is designed with both the practical and leisure needs of the blind or low vision user in mind. You can customize the speech rate, volume, and type of reading voice from SARA’s built-in RealSpeak” synthesizer to suit your particular needs. For the low vision user, SARA can be attached to a TV or computer monitor, providing colorful, large print access to complement speech. Screen enhancements can be applied to change how colors and type appear on the screen, making screen reading customizable for the individual user. View your screen in various colors to provide the right background contrast for your reading. Adjust the type style, the color of type, its brightness and contrast, size, and even the letter spacing. Select from a range of highlighting colors to best suit your vision. All these choices can be combined to meet your specific needs.
Whether you’re enjoying the latest best seller or studying a complicated insurance policy, Freedom Scientifics SARA makes reading a breeze.
- 40 public domain books come pre-installed
- Play DAISY books from CDs
- Save files stored on CDs to your SARA
- Supports scanning and reading in 18 languages: U.S. English, British English, Australian English, Belgian Dutch, Brazilian, Danish, Continental French, Canadian French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish
- Opens a wide variety of file types from CD
- Independent keyboard help for document reading, menus, dialogs, and playing DAISY books
- Scan in Background option allows you to continue scanning the next page while reading the first.
- Front mounted stereo speakers
- Front audio jack for stereo headphones
- Rear power jack
- Built-in mic
- TV Out connector for those who want to view scanned documents on a TV using a video cable
VGA Out for connection to a computer monitor
- USB port to add a keyboard or mouse
- Support for scanning and reading in multiple languages
- Size: 20 inches by 3.5 inches by 12 inches (50.8 centimeters by 8.89 centimeters by 30.48 centimeters)Weight: 18 pounds (8.16 kilograms)